Pages

Sunday 12 August 2012

ANYONE FOR ALASKA?

Okay you could be forgiven for thinking you were in the arctic today - I think it was a good practice season standing in the wind today at soccer thinking this time next week I will be standing in snow (probably knee deep knowing how unpredictable the weather is), wind will be howling, -4 degrees today in Toolik, Alaska, so this made me think, okay not bad today really. Was even better when the portable coffee truck pulled up - never seen so many Mums look so happy!! So next chapter in the adventure is about to unravel if I dont before it! I'm sorry to not have posted that I made it home form the Amazon, was an amazing trip, Shamon man, Amazon herbal tea and all..I think the heat was really what was so overwhelming, like being in a Sauna 24/7, you really had to watch how much water you drank as it just dripped off you and that was  standing in the shade. The last location in the Amazon was really very special - Christalino Lodge in the southern tip of the Amazon, an Eco Lodge in the middle of nowhere. Plane trip to Alto Floresta, then a very bumpy van trip for 2 hours, down direct roads to the edge of the river, then a 1 hour boat trip to the Lodge. While we were there I saw an anaconda - really was suoer amazing, huge. The monkeys were very cheekly and threw fruit and seeds on us - when I say through it was like standing under a rain cloud of berries they just showered all around us really very funny. The bird life and butterflies were beautiful, colourful, and plentiful. At night time we had the Howler monkeys again..they seemed to follow us and they really do howl through the night 0 but like a horror movie/great sound effects!  I had a scary moment one night when I miss timed the generator turn-off ( normally 10pm) and went out to find a patch in the forest where the tree canopy was clear and I could call our travel agent  ont the Sat Phone..yes hard to beleive but we could not access the internet and had no idea if our flights hand changed. In the middle of the call the lights all went out and I was left in the pitch dark with no torch...every shadow was a crouching tiger, howling monkey ot something! Managed to find my way back as there was a full moon, but never again...So this week on Thursday we head off the shoot part of the story on the rapid acceleration of loss of Methane/ and the melting of the Permafrost across the sub arctic regions, namley Siberia and Alaska. We are traveling to several research sites in Alaska to look at the melting Permafrost story and then all the way to Barrow to where the sea ice is rapidly retreating, and Methane Hydtrates are starting to also melt in the shallow arctic oceans. Will try and send a few blogs while I am traveling, but I know we are going to be in remote locations so they will be a bit unpredictable. Getting my sleeping bag out again - Yep seems like I am camping again and this time in -4C. Yes the first time was a novelty, so this time not sure how it will all go, but up for it anyway. Will miss the kids and family, but back end of the month intime for the soccer finals!! Love to all and speak to you from the wild plans of Alaska LC xx

No comments:

Post a Comment