Pages

Wednesday 11 July 2012

AMAZON SHAMAN MAN

Feeling like I have been hit by a semi trailer - fever, and bad gastro in the middle of the jungle, not a good look.  35 C but I spent the day under a rug...a visit by the local Shaman man Lola told me I needed to drink a herbal tea made from the young leaves of a Guava Plant.  He made up a special mixture and I  drank the tea the whole pot and within 30 mins I stared to feel better - amazing, just can't describe how fast I recovered from this. Such a simple solution - young Guava leaves! Next day I was back on my feet, a few kilos lighter ( good thing) and drinking the next mixture he delivered to me - filtered rice water. Feeling so much clearer, I took a walk in the nearby forest at night with the crew - it was pitch dark, lots of moving shadows, and rustling of leaves. I don't remember this being my idea or even a good idea..I called the shoot to an end and hurried back to the camp - looked for a jaguar but to no avails. Heading back to civilisation in the morning, will be visiting a nearby remote village, before our 32 hour boat trip back down the river to Belem. The howler monkeys keep howling all night, starting to get use to them - just a little bit uneasy when going to sleep as there are no doors on our rooms, and I wonder if I am going to wake up to a monkey bouncing on the bunk bed!! Sleeping under a mosquito net, surprisingly only a few bugs...just have to check your bed for scorpions at night and your shoes in the morning! LC

No comments:

Post a Comment